Hello everyone I hope you all are doing well in your businesses.
I would like to share something I have learned this past month. Like you, I run a small business. Also like you, I have been scared watching my monthly totals drop as the government decides what they are going to do with taxes, health care and the like.
This past month, I decided to put an all-out effort into making my totals increase no matter what news came out on the economy. I did not spend much money on advertising. But I spent a lot of effort on relationships that I have already built with existing customers. I also spent time with my employees, working with them to provide better service and finding things to offer to every customer that comes into the shop.
At first, I must admit, it was very discouraging. It took a lot work. Not just physical work, but a lot of mental work, to get my crew and myself in the right frame of mind. In other words, we focused on what really counts.
After one month, this is what happened. Overall, our total went up by more than 30%. The average ticket sale went up by 15%. The weekly customer count went up by 10%. It was the best month we have had in an entire year. And this came on the heels of the worst mouth we had booked in over a year and a half. My employees are working harder but seem happier. They have even started bringing customers to the shop. I’ll get into this in detail in a future blog post.
So what happened? I can only attribute the change to the fact that we decided to focus on what really matters in our business. So what we all need to do is sit down and focus our thoughts and efforts on what we do in our businesses and recommit to doing it and doing it well.
Here is an Action Plan:
- Remember why you went into business in the first place. Relive your dream.
- Write down your original vision and then check to make sure you are on track with those values.
- Ask for help. Ask someone who will be honest with you instead of someone who will just fill your ego with fluff.
- Put together a plan. Divide the big task into smaller tasks that are easier to accomplish. Track your progress. Test and Measure. Push what works.
- See if you can reignite the spark that started in the first place. And then go out and do it. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. We should set our course and follow it. There is no one that can stop you if you really want make it happen.
If you would like more details about what I am doing to turn around my business, send me an email with your request. I will be happy to provide you with more details that might help you right your course. Autofix@aol.com.